[digiKam-users] A question about management across digikam on mac and ios devices

Bill Allen dk at ballen.fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 15 18:31:52 GMT 2023

I've got thousands of images that I manage on my mac that I've got
organized into folders. I've tagged all the images using DigiKam which
writes those tags to the images themselves. I use an iPhone and iPad and
would like to share those images on those devices, but as far as I can tell
the only supported way to do that is to import them into Apple Photos which
takes over all management from that point on as it loads the photos into
its own database which 1) isn't accessible by digiKam, 2) basically
invalidates the folder organization that I've got. I know that Photos on
the mac allows one to "import" while retaining the file structure, but that
misses the point since I still won't see those images on the IOS devices
unless they are actually imported into the Photos DB.

I should note that my folders are all stored on iCloud so in principle
they're available on IOS via the files application, but that provides no
ability to search by tags, date, etc. which was the point of tagging and
dating them in the first place. What I'd love to find is an IOS application
that "imports" the images from iCloud, which actually leaving them in place
so if I make edits on the mac, they are there. Needless to say since I'm
writing this that I haven't found any such application, but I'd love to be
proven wrong.

The only solution that I've come up with is to basically just give up on
the notion and export photos from DigiKam to a folder on my mac and import
them to Apple Photos which will make them available to my IOS devices, but
not allow for any updating other than an export/import cycle.

I can't imagine that many people have read this far, but if you have and
have some insight I'm missing I'd love to hear it.