[digiKam-users] running as root

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 10:04:59 GMT 2023

Le dim. 12 févr. 2023 à 10:57, <michael.eschweiler at web.de> a écrit :

> Dear digikam-programmers,
>
> in order to avoid this kind of comments:
> perhaps you should integrate a message as I read one some years ago, when I tried something 'ugly':
> "You are running XXX as root. There is no help, you are alone."

Not at all...

Running as root an application which has been designed for user-space
is dangerous, for your security or for your data.

This is why applications are sandboxed on all computers/OS. This is
true for desktop, but also tablets, cellulars, etc...

Only background services are running with some higher privileges, and
also in this case, not as root, but with dedicated hidden fake user
accounts.

Only low level kernel processes/modules use root under Linux.

Best

Gilles Caulier