After upgrade cannot open external drive

William Allen dk at ballen.fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 12 16:21:07 GMT 2023

I had an update, so I’m getting the dread “storage location is currently not available”.

So, I go to the collection settings and hit the update button. It gives me a dialog that has as choices: “Collections on Removable Media”, “Local Collections” or “Collections on Network Shares”. Of these, only Local Collections seems to make sense so I hit that and it gives me a system file dialog. I select the directory the collection is in and it says “Your new collection will be created with this name:” and gives the directory I selected. Is that right? It doesn’t make sense - I’m not creating a new collection, I’m updating it to point at the existing collection.

On 15 Oct 2023, at 9:43, William Allen wrote:

> Thanks, I’ll give that a try next time it happens. I have to admit that looking at the doc it wasn’t clear that that was what it did, but I’m glad to know it.
>
> On 14 Oct 2023, at 11:54, Maik Qualmann wrote:
>
>> Editing the database manually is no longer necessary. There is an update
>> button in the digiKam collection settings. This also updates the current
>> partition UUID.
>>
>> https://docs.digikam.org/en/setup_application/collections_settings.html
>>
>> Maik
>>
>> Am Samstag, 14. Oktober 2023, 17:34:27 CEST schrieb William Allen:
>>> You don’t need to do that. The problem is that every time the Mac has
>>> a system update the uuid of the main drive changes. Why? No idea -
>>> it’s just the kind of fun apple likes to have with us I guess.
>>>
>>> The solution, as kludgy as it may be is:
>>>
>>> Prerequisites: You need to install sqlite3 to be able to manipulate your
>>> existing database.
>>>
>>> Steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Run your disk utility program. Note the uuid of the drive. To get it,
>>> click on the Macintosh HD line, then the uuid is in the lower right
>>> side.
>>> 2. Cd into the directory where your digikam.db is located.
>>> 3. sqlite3 digicam.db
>>> 4. select identifier from AlbumRoots where id = 1;