Compiling digikam 8.2

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Mon Dec 11 14:12:54 GMT 2023

I'm running Debian bookworm so so possibly similar setup to yours. I've
just had a look and I don't have the digikam-data package installed and
I can run digikam fine. The only difference I see is that I installed
systemwide but I can run the binary ok from the source directory too, so
perhaps there's something else going on with your setup.

My approach to installing something from source isn't very
sophisticated. I just keep trying, then fix the broken dependencies,
then try again. I often find that something like 'apt build-dep digikam'
helps to get the dependencies installed.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question.

Normally I like to compile from the source. No rational reason. I just
have a feeling that it's perhaps more efficient and possibly less
problematic with permissions if the appimage does any strange sandboxing
of the environment - although I've seen this more trying to use snap and
flatpack.

Recently I was trying to narrow down a problem I was having with
georeferencing and as part of my diagnostics I was switching between
using my compiled version of digiKam and the appimage. It made no
difference to the problem although I did notice a couple of subtle
dialogue differences between the versions (both 8.2). It also had me
questioning why I bother compiling, and whether there is any advantage
to using a compiled image rather than the appimage. I didn't do any
extensive testing but I could see no performance or any other
difference. My take-away is that in future I'll probably just stick with
the appimage.

Dougie