bookworm killed digikam import

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Mon Aug 21 09:21:05 BST 2023

gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/25/23 04:28, Maik Qualmann wrote:
>> Create a debug log of the terminal output when trying to download
>> images from
>> the camera. Don't forget to set the Qt debug variable, see here:
>>
>> https://www.digikam.org/contribute/
>>
>> Maik
>>
> I dunno what the heck is going on, but I cannot redirect what I see
> echo'd to the terminal in a file generated with:
>
> digiKam 2>&1 >/tmp/digikam.log.
 >  > I get 100k of output to the screen, and 10 lines to the log.  Has
debian
> managed to break bash? Further digging into this rabbit hole, my fav
> terminal is Konsole and is apparently, definitely /NOT/ bash. Lemme go
> bang on the debian list to see how such redirection might be done in
> Konsole. It also appears to ignore a ulimit=unlimited setting.
> scrollback ends long before I get back to the command line.

I just gave it a try. If I run

digiKam 2>&1 >/tmp/digikam.log

I also still see the output to stderr on the console. However, if I
*first* redirect stdout to a file and *then* stderr to stdout, it works
as expected, i.e.

digiKam >/tmp/digikam.log 2>&1

works for me.

I also stumbled across a similar problem a long time ago, but I don't
remember why it makes a difference which redirection comes first.

BTW, I'm running openSUSE with KDE, and when I open a konsole window, I
indeed get a bash shell:

$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

I think that, as Remco already pointed out, it depends on some system
setting which shell is started when you open a konsole window.

> And now I'm
> DIW for several hours, camera battery is dead.

I find it much easier to pull the memory card out of the camera and put
it into a card reader than to directly connect the camera to the computer.

Doing so can be much faster if the card reader and the computer support
USB3, but the camera only USB2 or USB1, which support only lower data rates.

Martin