how to detect corrupted file

frederic chaume frederic.chaume at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:02:00 BST 2023

Hi All

I found an option using exiv2 under windows

 >bin\exiv2.exe -pp -q P2280067_DxO-corrupted.jpg
Exiv2 exception in print action for file P2280067_DxO-corrupted.jpg:
P2280067_DxO-corrupted.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type

 >bin\exiv2.exe -pp -q P2280067_DxO.jpg
Preview 1: image/jpeg, 317x237 pixels, 17356 bytes

 >bin\exiv2.exe -pp -q .\P2280067.ORF
Preview 1: image/jpeg, 160x120 pixels, 9080 bytes
Preview 2: image/jpeg, 3200x2400 pixels, 1060974 bytes

I think that could be a good solution to find corrupted jpeg. Based on
this I have some thought
- as exiv2 is native with Digikam, I guess such error could be visible?
*Is there some "debug level" or some logs somewhere that could report
such errors ?*
- I'm not expert on coding so don't know how to translate such command
to a recursive search on a set of folders?
- seems to apply to raw also , but I don't have corrupted raw to perform
the test

thanks to share your feedbacks and may be other option

Frederic