[digiKam-users] Keyword hierarchy

Frédéric Da Vitoria davito9w at free.fr
Mon Oct 31 11:25:58 GMT 2022

Just my point of view: I have been using a software which did not handle
tag hierarchy for more than 10 years. The list of tags was quite large,
finding a tag was difficult because they were only sorted in
alphabetical order. I tried to (kind of) implement hierarchy by adding
separate tags, for example adding France and Paris tags to a picture of
Montmartre.

When I switched to DigiKam, I immediately started to use the hierarchy.
The total number of tags is still as large, obviously, but now it is
much easier to find one tag. Because of how DigiKam implements the
hierarchy, I don't need those "intermediate" tags any more, and I
started removing them from the pictures. Now, the previous picture would
have only one "Lieux/France/Paris/Montmartre" tag, but I'd still be able
to retrieve the image by selecting the France or Paris tags in the
hierarchy.

One other advantage is that you can have several tags with the same name
but in different places in the hierarchy, of course. This allows to use
the the same name but for different meanings. This situation should be
avoided IMO, but sometimes it is difficult to find another fitting word.

The only part which could be better is that there is no standard way to
implement tags hierarchy. DigiKam's way of doing it is used by quite a
few other software, but there are others which could be unable to
understand it. This is not DigiKam's fault, of course.

--
Frédéric Da Vitoria