[digiKam-users] Managing generated XMP sidecar files: Keeping ONLY the ones having metadata added by user

Sepp A sepp4991 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 12:29:41 BST 2022

Hello,

I've recently tried out the XMP sidecar-file generation option in digiKam,
and I had chosen to have everything exported to XMP sidecar-files.
Consequently, I'm left with thousands of XMP sidecar-files generated by
digiKam, many of them not having any metadata/info that are not already
included in the image files themselves. I want to delete them, or better
yet, move them to a new directory to double check before permanently
deleting them.
How can I achieve this? In other words, I want to keep ONLY the XMP files
that have the corresponding fields for tags and labels that were added by
me in digiKam and are not already in the image file metadata.
A command-line/python script could scan through and search the files and
take the wanted action, but unfortunately, my scripting skills are not yet
developed enough.