[digiKam-users] New Linux AppImage 64 bits for digiKam 7.9.0 pre release

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:29:46 GMT 2022

Hi all,

I just completed the port of the VM used to build the Linux AppImage
bundles 64 bits from Mageia7 to Ubuntu 18.04. This is a main change
with these features:

- The binary compatibility with glibc is improved, as Ubuntu 18.04 is
older than Mageia7. This will guarantee that the AppImage will run
better with older Linux systems.

- Ubuntu 18.04 is supported and maintained until 2024. We gain
security updates of the main component for a while as, for example,
openssl that is available at the last 1.1.1 compatible with last Qt
5.15.7 published as open source. This is important as openssl is used
to communicate with web service plugins through QtWebEngine. Note that
Mageia7 has been dead for more than one year and you need to upgrade
the system to Mageia8, so you break again the binary compatibility
with glibc.

- I fixed a few bugs in the scripts, which optimize a little bit the
bundle size and the speed of build.

- AppImage was the last bundle compiled with Mageia. All is now ported
to Ubuntu, Mageia is not used anymore.

VoilĂ , the bundles ready for testing are now published online at usual place :

https://files.kde.org/digikam/

Best regards