[digiKam-users] Import of face tags of Adobe Photoshop Elements Organizer into Digikam

Henrik Hemrin hehemrin at hemrin.com
Wed Mar 30 22:54:24 BST 2022

Hi again Andreas,

Addition to my response earlier today. I summarized my notes quickly. It is messy and not final conclusions. I hope I one day can compete the exercise with accurate details. With that said, I hope this addition can help you.

--
This is about an exercise to figure out, in all directions, how face tags (both the name tags and the connection to a face) works between Photoshop Elements, Lightroom and digiKam.

Preliminary conclusions based on trials in November 2021 together with a photographer using Lightroom. Other tasks stopped us from finishing this exercise. I hope I will learn more when I have Lightroom myself, at the time I will execute my migration to digiKam from Photoshop Elements.

- DigiKam has face tags. This information can be exported (read by other sw) from digiKam.
- Lightroom has face tags. This information can be exported (read by other sw) from Lightroom.
- Photoshop Elements has face tags. This information cannot be exported from Photoshop Elements.
- Photoshop Elements cannot import face tags from digiKam. For jpg, names will be imported as tags w/o face connection. For NEF (raw), seems as tags are not imported at all.
- Photoshop Elements cannot import face tags from Lightroom. The names will be imported as tags, but tags appears to be flat; hierachy lost.
- Migration from Photoshop Elements to Lightroom: If Lightroom has access to the PSE data base, will all data incl face tags be imported to Lightroom.
- Face tags photos in digiKam will not connect faces in Lightroom, only the tags. This is still under investigation, it may be because of settings or handling in LR; maybe caused by sidecar was not imported.
- More is needed to investigate exact settings for writing and reading xml, sidecars etc in each of the softwares.

- Based on those preliminary test results, although not confirmed, I am relatively sure that:
	- Face tags (and other meta data) can be migrated from Photoshop Elements to digiKam via Lightroom, thanks to that Lightroom can import the catalog (data base) itself from Photoshop Elements
	- Face tags (and other meta data) kan be read by Lightroom from photos handled in digiKam and vice versa
	- Photoshop Elements only can only handle face tags within itself, no read or write to other software

Regarding the migration from LR to digiKam, the article Migrating from Lightroom 6 to Digikam 7 (https://ocroquette.wordpress.com/migrating-from-lightroom-6-to-digikam-7/) which he Olivier Croquette shared in the digiKam users mailing list 30 March 2022, under subject "wpg2dk - Migrate from Windows Photo Gallery to digiKam” looks very interesting. I will for sure study it myself before I migrate.

Best regards
Henrik Hemrin