[digiKam-users] Hierarchical keywords and tags

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:11:34 BST 2022

Hi,

IPTC supports keywords, not hierarchical tags as digiKam do (as
treeview). You must use XMP instead.

digiKam use a dedicated XMP namespace for that :

https://exiftool.org/TagNames/XMP.html#digiKam

Look TagsList Which is a strings list of hierarchy using '/' as a
separator (as a file tree hierarchy in fact). But digiKam support
other place in XMp for interoperability purpose. Example :

[gilles at localhost]$ exiftool -xmp:* 4324477432.jpg
XMP Toolkit                     : XMP Core 4.4.0-Exiv2
Categories                      : <Categories><Category
Assigned="1">lieux<Category Assigned="1">Islande<Category Assigned=
"1">Reykjavik, lieux<Category Assigned="1">Islande, Mot
clé</Category></Category></Category></Category><Category Assigned="
0">Personnes<Category Assigned="1">Ignored</Category><Category
Assigned="1">Unconfirmed</Category></Category><Category Assi
gned="1">Maison</Category></Categories>
Region Applied To Dimensions W  : 4032
Region Applied To Dimensions H  : 3024
Region Applied To Dimensions Unit: pixel
Region List                     :
Region Person Display Name      : Ignored, Unconfirmed
Tags List                       : lieux/Islande, lieux,
Personnes/Unconfirmed, lieux/Islande/Reykjavik, lieux, Personnes/Ig
nored, Maison, lieux/Islande/Reykjavik, lieux/Islande, Mot clé
Last Keyword XMP                : lieux/Islande, lieux,
Personnes/Unconfirmed, lieux/Islande/Reykjavik, lieux, Personnes/Ig
nored, Maison, lieux/Islande/Reykjavik, lieux/Islande, Mot clé
Hierarchical Subject            : lieux|Islande, lieux,
Personnes|Unconfirmed, lieux|Islande|Reykjavik, lieux, Personnes|Ig
nored, Maison, lieux|Islande|Reykjavik, lieux|Islande, Mot clé
Catalog Sets                    : lieux|Islande, lieux,
Personnes|Unconfirmed, lieux|Islande|Reykjavik, lieux, Personnes|Ig
nored, Maison, lieux|Islande|Reykjavik, lieux|Islande, Mot clé
Subject                         : Islande, lieux, Unconfirmed,
Reykjavik, lieux, Ignored, Maison, Islande, Mot clé

Look also at the advanced settings to import tags from metadata in the
Setup/Metadata dialog page.

To respond to your question about IPTC edit, look in the menu
"Item/Edit Metadata". But as I said previously, IPTC does not support
hierarchy. Look the same picture with IPTCwhere keywords is just a
flat list of tags hierarchy :

[gilles at localhost]$ exiftool -iptc:* 4324477432.jpg
Coded Character Set             : UTF8
Keywords                        : Islande, lieux, Unconfirmed,
Reykjavik, lieux, Ignored, Maison, Islande, Mot clé

Best

Gilles Caulier