[digiKam-users] Keyword import issue

Frédéric Da Vitoria davito9w at free.fr
Sun Mar 20 23:29:03 GMT 2022

Hello,

I recently switched to digiKam and I am experiencing a strange issue
with keywords.

First of all, I am using digiKam 7.5.0 in French and translating some
things back to English in this post, so the exact words I will use could
be wrong.

I have more than 22 000 files. Most of them were tagged with keywords
using a Windows software, FotoAlbum. I loaded my files in digiKam and
was pretty much happy with the results. Some things will have to be
sorted out but I haven't found anything major except for one thing:

818 files were loaded with keyword ")". I tried to find some relation
between those, but could not find any. Some pics were tagged with
keywords containing characters, but some not, some use keywords with
more than one word, most don't, and some pics use only the simple
keyword "ciel" (one word, no accent...). As much as I can tell, when
digiKam thinks a picture has the ")" keyword, digiKam does not see any
other keyword in this picture.

I examined pictures with only the keyword "ciel". I chose this keyword
because it is one word and does not have any accented characters and I
have a few pictures with only this keyword. I used a binary level tool
to check a file with the strange ")" keyword and a file in which digiKam
correctly sees "ciel" and both have the sequence 63 69 65 6C, so I guess
this is not a character encoding issue. Both exiftool (v 11.93) and
exiv2 (v 0.25 001900) find the keyword "ciel" in the "correct" file as
well as in the ")" file. Apart from this, it seems digiKam read metadata
from the 818 files correctly, at least the dates and times, my name
(which does contain accented characters) and the camera model are correct.

Speaking of the camera, and this could be the most important : as much
as I can tell, all ")" pictures were taken using a Canon S5 IS. Most of
the pictures I took with the S5 IS were correctly loaded in digiKam. I
did not use Canon software to do the tagging since I used FotoAlbum for
this, and I've had FotoAlbum long before I got the S5, and long after I
stopped using it. I had another Canon before, but none of it's pictures
were in the 818 lot. I have used a Fuji, a Minolta and a Panasonic since
then too, which were absent from the 818 list as much as I can tell. And
the 818 lot ranges from 2007 to 2015, which matches the dates when I
started ans stopped using the S5 IS. So again, I believe all the 818
pictures were taken with the Canon S5 IS.

Does anyone have an idea about what is going on and more importantly how
I could fix this ?

--
Frédéric Da Vitoria