[digiKam-users] migrate settings to a new machine

Ronald Roth loup at lo-cal.org
Mon Mar 7 03:36:58 GMT 2022

I recently swapped out my SSD in my PC with a new one.  I'd like to
transfer all of my old settings to my new SSD.

I copied over the entire ~.config directory, which contains my digikamrc
file.  I used snap to install and run digikam, so I also copied over the
entire ~/snap directory.  I expected that when I launched digikam, it
would read that config file and all of my previous settings would be
preserved.  However, instead, Digikam wants to make me go through the
entire first-time-use dialog.

I've also got the database files (main, thumbs, etc) and all of my media
files at the exact same paths as my previous installation.

How do I make digikam believe this is an existing installation rather
than a new one?