[digiKam-users] Play Video with VLC

Henrik Hemrin hehemrin at hemrin.com
Mon Jun 27 23:35:36 BST 2022

Thanks,

f/up questions:

To Sveinn:
Thanks for the proposal. I know PPA exist generally, but I have not learned how they work. One general concern I have, can I trust PPA? PPA is as I understand developed (or whatever term is best to use) by someone else than the developer. Can I trust a PPA has not manipulated the code?

To Christian:
I know Manjaro exist and is curious to one day install and explore it. Maybe it is as easy as Mint to use and good for me. One thing I like with Mint is their tools for system maintenance like update manager incl kernel cleanup, firmware check manager and more.
I have noted that Manjaro is available with Xfce, which I probably would go for.
Another concern is if I can uncertain if I really can install software .deb or .rpm on Manjaro? I doubt it is one-click installation. As examples I give two photography sw I use: a) Corel AfterShot Pro 3, in my license I have .rpm and .deb (in addition to the macOS version I currently use) b) VueScan. From their website, I can download .deb, .rpm, and .tgz. Are those two examples easy to get working on Manjaro? Or will a better environment for digiKam in Manjaro mean I will have worse environment for some other sw?

(Paul Polillo, sorry if I take your query a bit outside of your original question, but hopefully it is somewhat useful information for you as well.)

By the way, the Linux Format magazine rated Pop!_OS as best Linux desktop 2022.

Best regards
Henrik