[digiKam-users] Exported image orientation different that in-Digikam display -- inconsistent XMP/EXIF/TIFF data?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:42:10 BST 2022

I have a jpg image displayed in Digikam/Linux (installed as AppImage, https://download.kde.org/stable/digikam/7.7.0/digiKam-7.7.0-x86-64.appimage.mirrorlist)

	v 7.7.0
	Build date: 6/22/22 5:33 PM (target: RelWithDebInfo)
	Revision: 8c835009cbf361de37452987191633583f9d985c
	Branch: HEAD

It's been imported from an Apple iPhone.

Its orientation has been rotated in Digikam so that it's vertically oriented, with height (4032) > width (3024).
It's displayed -- in Digikam -- correctly.

Consistently, in Digikam's Metadata -> ExifTool tab

	EXIF
		ExifImageHeight   4032
		ExifImageWidth    3024
		ImageHeight       4032
		ImageWidth        3024
		Orientation       Horizontal(normal)

	XMP
		ExifImageHeight   4032
		ExifImageWidth    3024
		ImageHeight       4032
		ImageWidth        3024
		Orientation       Horizontal(normal)

and in the Metadata -> XMP tab,

	Exif-specific Properties
		Pixel X Dimension   3024
		Pixel Y Dimension   4032

But, on export of the Image to my Android phone, I note the image is incorrecly rotated -- 90 degrees.

Checking the file's details in the viewer (F-Stop), I find

	Image Width    4032
	IMage Height   3024
	Orientation    Top, left side (Horizontal / normal)

which is clearly inconsistent with the Digikam EXIF/XMP data.

Checking back in Digikam's Metadata -> XMP tab, I also find,

	TIFF Properties
		Image Length   4032
		Image Width    3024
		Orientation    top, left

, from which the incorrect @android 'Orientation' seems to originate ... ??

Finally, in Digikam's Settings -> Metadata -> Rotation, settings are

	When rotating a file
		[ ] Rotate by only setting a flag
		[X] Rotate by changing the content if possible
			[ ] Even allow lossy rotation if necessary
		[X] Write flag to metadat if possible
	Rotate actions
		[X] Show images/thumbnails rotate according to orientation tag
		[X] Set orientation tag to normal after rotate/flip

What needs to be done in Digikam to

	(1) correct & ensure consistency of all Digikam database rotation data
	(2) ensure consistency of the database rotation data with XMP sidecards
	(3) ensure that the exported data is written correctly

, so that the exported image gets consistent rotation data, and displays correctly ?