[digiKam-users] repointing new 7.5 upgrade to old 6.0 collection with existing files

Ty Mayn tyrus.mayn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:24:05 GMT 2022

Now returned to digikam, It's time to upgrade from 6.0 to7.5
Unfortunately I have to use windows10 for the benefit of a non linux
collaborator.
i have looked but not found a howto on upgrade. Can I describe my strategy
and receive warning away from any wrong assumptions.
      I plan to install new 7.5 with all evidence of the old 6.0 hidden.
I will hide the existing config file digikamrc and the 4 database files.
 After the install, I guess I will find a new default digikamrc in the path
User/AppData/Local (if that default has not changed)
    I expect to be greeted by a welcome wizard that will ask to point to
some brand new folders to become albumsbut rather than follow the wizard:
   I hope to return the database files into their original location
specified in the older digikam RC
    I plan to examine the new config file and pause to compare some of its
config variables compared to the older.
   Then  manually edit the path variables in digikamrc which point to the
database files.
       I am not trying to circumvent any tools that might be in the wizard
and  may be its not oriented to starting up an all new album collection
from scratch.
      I am guessing the database files can serve the new version and may
change or be repaired with  ongoing use  (unless warned away)
    This seems to be a worthwhile approach for pointing a new program
install to an existing collection..... unless this helpful list warns me in
other directions.
Thanks
Ty