[digiKam-users] how to move collections

Ty Mayn tyrus.mayn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 19:13:58 GMT 2022

I am revived user low on the learning curve andbut I can respond to how I
repaired a moved collection by going directly into the digikam4 data
basefile.  I have no experience in using the migration tool but I did grab
a 2 year old collection and  the files for digikam6 installation out of a
backup location.  They had been living on an even older workstation hard
drive  and I hoped that the collection would just operate by firing up the
collection from a backup.   Digikam6 did fine to display the thumbnails for
the identical recursive tree of folders and file images... but it could not
deliver the full image preview.   I guess it could get to the thumbnails
directly through the thumbnail database.
      Not understanding the migration tool..I installed DB Browser and
studied the database field called AlbumRoots
 It has and identifier field and a path that allows the digikam display
tools to fetch the proper full image .
   If ound that the identifier retained in the digikam4 was pointing to a
UUID  for the hard drive in the old workstation
I had also moved the identically named folder and file collection under a
new top level folder rather than root.
The field titled "specificPath" perhaps should be titled "completePath"
from root.
To be safe I moved my identical folder collection to drive root  (where it
had resided on earlier workstation) instead of trying to add the toplevel
folder to the specific path
      The format for the 2 fields  identifier  and specific path is
   volumeid:?uuid=NewHexstring       /identicalFolderCollection
  With those 2 fields set digikam happily treated the moved collection as a
native home.
      My post about this is on the inactive other digikam forum
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=256&t=173758
    I am a learner non programmer grasping for bits of info and I was
relieved to find this direct way of repairing a collection and database
which is identically positioned in a folder tree, but moved without advance
planning.
    I am sure the many helpers on this list  have addressed this structure
in past postings,
  but the info is buried in the past  until these email threads are
gathered into a unified searchable document.
Ty