[digiKam-users] Album Update Very Slow With Pictures and Database on NAS

digikam at 911networks.com digikam at 911networks.com
Tue Dec 27 21:42:31 GMT 2022

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:14:29 -0500
7mgte <7mgte at miniblue.net> wrote:
> Are there any known issues or configuration recommendations for
> using digiKam on Windows 10, the folder (album) structure on a
> (Synology) NAS, and using the same NAS as the database (MariaDB)
> server for digiKam?
>
> digiKam is slow to open, and when I switch between albums it can be
> nearly 30 seconds before any image data appears, then another 20-40
> seconds for the thumbnails to actually appear.  A very frustrating
> experience!  This is true whether I use a Windows 10 machine or
> Fedora 36 workstation.  It does not appear to be a resource issue
> on the NAS based on observations of the resource monitor.

1. You didn't mention the # of photos and size of the db files.

2. I used to have a very similar experience, but not anymore. I moved
the database, the '.db' fileS to the local drive and it makes a world
of difference.

All my images are still on the NAS, just the 4 .db are on the local
drive. But this means: separate backups and an rsync script...

This was not related to the speed of the network, my network speed is
the the full gigE. I copy files at 105 MB/s, that's megabytes not
megabits.

--
sknahT

vyS