[digiKam-users] New online documentation...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:16:13 GMT 2022

Hi all,

Few words about my main task currently: I'm working to port the current
handbook based on DocBook to the modern Sphinx/ReStructuredText
infrastructure. This last one is so far easier to write and maintain
than the "DocBook" dinosaur...

There is a Phabricator thread between me, KDE system admin, and
Kdenlive team; where we talk about the technical details to complete
the infrastructure base :

https://phabricator.kde.org/T16036

The new handbook will be online on a separated web domain. It start to
work here as HTML export :

https://docs.digikam.org/en/#

The goal is to render a documentation as Krita or Kdenlive projects,
in HTML, EPUB, with internationalization:

https://docs.krita.org/en/#
https://docs.kdenlive.org/en/#

The digiKam doc for the Sphinx/ReStructuredText infrastructure is
located in the "sphinx" branch of the doc git repository :

https://invent.kde.org/documentation/digikam-doc/-/tree/sphinx

I document the README to explain all the main workflows to work on
this new documentation. The plan is to import/convert/review docbook
files as ResStructuredText, and later to implement new
chapters/sections. Few collaborators contact me to help in this task.

Later when the port will be done, the "sphinx" branch will be merged
in master for production use. Older documentation will be removed.

VoilĂ , I will work on this during the second part of december. Later I
will be busy in my office in January, and In February, I will mentor 2
new students at work for 6 months.

Note: 8.0.0-beta1 files will be online soon. I will prepare the
release announcement just after, probably next week.

My best regards