[digiKam-users] recovering only some tags from db

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 4 14:57:27 BST 2022

On lundi 4 avril 2022 15:40:41 CEST leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:
> On 4/4/22 14:57, Remco Viëtor wrote:

> >> Sorry, yes, '.xmp sidecars'

> >> --
> >> Maderios
> >
> > Normally, the metadata should still be in the database, the .xmp sidecars
> > are there for exchange with other programs and to provide some data
> > redundancy.
> >
> > So why not just rewrite the metadata to the sidecars?
> > Why do you think that is not safe?
>
> I don't "think" it, I just remember bad experiences in the past.
> Anyway, i have a backup of my images + .xmp files but i should prefer
> solve problem inside Digikam.
So what exactly is the result you want?

You say you deleted xmp tags (meaning xmp sidecars)? Your tags are still in
the tag manager, so they should still be in the database. That means you
should see them attached to your images. If all that is correct, you still
have all your information.

You also say you want to recover said xmp's from within Digikam, but you do
*not* want to rewrite the sidecar files (note that I refer to the *sidecar*
files, **not** the actual image files).

It seems to me that in that case you have a problem without a solution...