[digiKam-users] recovering only some tags from db

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 4 13:57:00 BST 2022

On lundi 4 avril 2022 14:46:49 CEST leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:
> On 4/4/22 14:16, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You want mean XMP sidecar files instead .xmp tags ?
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Gilles Caulier
>
> Sorry, yes, '.xmp sidecars'
>
> > Le dim. 3 avr. 2022 à 21:05, <leoutation at gmx.fr> a écrit :
> >> Hi
> >> I deleted about 1000 .xmp tags, they were placed in a tag folder 'F'.
> >> These tags still appear in tags manager, I think there are still in
> >> database. I don't want to sync from db to images because it takes a very
> >> long time, and it's not safe. I dream: is there a way  to recover them
> >> by selecting only  'F' tag folder? I tried it inside tags manager, it
> >> doesn't work :(
> >> Conditions: digikam git version, mariadb external database
> >>
> >> --
> >> Maderios
>
> --
> Maderios

Normally, the metadata should still be in the database, the .xmp sidecars are
there for exchange with other programs and to provide some data redundancy.

So why not just rewrite the metadata to the sidecars?
Why do you think that is not safe?

What's unsafe is writing metadata to raw files, as errors can make it
impossible for raw editors to read the file (I expect that to be rare, but
I've seen some reports about it happening). And of course, writing to any file
ca go wrong occasionally, that's why we make regular backups.

Remco