[digiKam-users] Help - Consolidation

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Tue Sep 21 18:53:07 BST 2021

Hi David;

There are many ways to do this, depending mostly on what you'd want to
achieve and how you are used to work.
First and foremost; how would you want to organize and name your
images/videos? Do you want the images and videos in separate folder
structures or perhaps sorted in folders by date/time?

For instance, I use three different approaches simultaneously;

1. General photography (Pictures-folder), where pictures are downloaded
via DigiKam into few topic-related folders (Home, Family, Travel, Work,
etc.) and then into folders named 'yyyy-mm-monthname'. These images get
names with first letter designating the camera/phone, then a
'date-time-number' sequence plus the extension. To each their own
preferences ;-)

2. Work related images (Documents-folder), mixed with other types of
files and documents in a folder structure based on tasks and clients.
These images may come from email, the internet or being shot at some
specific site. Naming is often derived from original images or task/client.

3. My scanning work, a multitude of scans mixed with data such as
GPX/GPS, lots of different versions, heavily edited in various software;
only the final versions then may get sent into either of the two
aforementioned collections. Naming is mostly serial version-numbers.

DigiKam handles these three locations as different collections (DK only
sees supported images/videos) and I use DigiKam mostly to tag them,
write descriptions and captions, and sometimes for light retouches or
batch-renaming.

But to answer your questions (in context of my workflow):

1: Can I use digiKam to find and consolidate those photos and videos?

Yes, if you mount each of your HDDs in some logical place, and make them
a (temporary) collection in DK, you could browse them in DK and move (or
copy) the images/videos to relevant places in your main collection.
No problem, but (there's always a 'but') it *may* be faster to move the
images/videos via a file-manager or by scripting. DK may add an extra
layer and some overhead to the operations, while basic file-managers
tend to be optimized for using multiple cores simultaneously. Some
operations in DK can be seriously time-consuming (as in tens of hours),
especially fingerprinting and facial recognition.

Just thoughts - good luck,
Sveinn í Felli

PS: Regarding your spec-info no. 2:

Since our digital life is more and more recorded in images/videos, the
price for recovering data from defunct HDDs is always mounting. I would
seriously consider setting up a multiple-disk RAID as your main data
storage instead of the older HDDs, a triple identical-disk RAID should
not be so complicated.
Not forgetting something for backup too...

Þann 20.9.2021 22:42, skrifaði David Prellwitz: