[digiKam-users] People Tag change file date-time despite explicit setting

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 1 11:09:25 BST 2021

 Subject: People Tag change file
> date-time despite explicit setting
> Dear all, is this already known, or shall I record a request for it ? Thanks
> to let me know.

> Platform version: digiKam 7.3.0 on Windows 10
>
> Settings:
> → Configure digiKam → Metadata → [X] Update file modification time stamp
> when files are modified

> Action:
> Assign or confirm a Person named Tag.
>
> Issue:
> The file(s) filesystem date-time is changed to now().
>
> Side remark: don’t you think renaming the setting like “[X] Always preserve
> file modification time stamp” would be better understood ?

> Pierre
> digiKam enthusiast.

Two thoughts on this:
- you say it's the filesystem timestamp that's changed. Afaik, that's not
under Digikam's control. (I suspect that the configuration option refers to
dk's database).

- changing a tag which is stored in the file *would* change the file contents,
so it's normal that the filesystem date/time is changed: it normally reflects
the last change to the contents of the file, and the filesystem has no
knowledge of the file's contents.
If, otoh, the tag is *not* stored in the file, the file system timestamp
should remain the same.