[digiKam-users] How to hide specified folders from scanning in digiKam for Windows

Cristiano Radicchi cristiano.radicchi at libero.it
Sun Nov 7 11:35:33 GMT 2021

Hello,

I am an old photo amateur and installed digiKam a couple of days ago to
try to make some order among the lots of digital photos I have taken so
far and appreciated a lot its features as a photo archiver/manager.

I configured (years ago) a folder tree on a home NAS where all my photos
are currently stored within 6 first level root folders, one for each
camera model I have been using in the last 15 years.

In the main camera folder (a digital reflex model) I storically archived
photos using a date naming for folders (e.g. 2019-05-26).

In each folder I stored the RAW images downloaded from the camera and
within the same folder I created a JPG subfolder to store the converted
images of the same date.

An example of the folders structure follows.

PHOTOS
   └──> REFLEX
└──> 2019
└──> 2019-05-26
└──> <all the images in RAW format>
└──> JPG
└──> <all the images in JPG format>

Now, when I installed digiKam and made it scan the root folder (and all
its sub-roots). So, the program discovered either the RAW images as well
as the JPG versions for each given date.

This generated a fair amount of duplication in the archive.

I read on the manual that the folders named with a "." as the first
character should be ignored bu the scanning process. Does it work on
Windows as well?

Otherwise, still on the manual, I read that I could set a path as "to be
excluded" by inserting it in a given mask.

Is a folder name like "JPG" sufficient for all the JPG subfolders at
once or should I insert a full path for each of them (they are a few
hundred)?

Furthermore, what can I do to exclude now all the JPG subfolders that
have already been scanned by digiKam?

Thanks a lot for your support,
Cristiano Radicchi