[digiKam-users] Syncing photos with iPhone/iPad on Mac

Scott Patterson scottpatterson490 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:54:55 BST 2021

Let me start off by thanking the authors for this software. I used iPhoto a
long time ago before it was migrated to Photos. iPhoto was pretty good, but
Photos is not. The DAM (digital assets management) of Photos is awful
compared to iPhoto. In my research, Digikam seems to have really good DAM
which is one of my main needs for photo software. So, I'm in the process of
moving my 40,000+ photo library of personal photos and videos dating back
from 1998 to Digikam. I have converted about 6 months to Digikam and the
results are great so far. I plan on converting the entire photo library
over to using Digikam and being rid of Photos.

My long term goal is to have everything categorized for easy search. I
currently do this by making sure all the faces are labeled in each photo,
giving the photos a star rating, and making sure the data info is correct
on each photo. I can easily do all this through Digikam and view it
accordingly. However, I would like this same viewing capability of the
photos on my iPhone/iPad. Right now, I have the photos organized by date in
the filesystem. So, I simply copy over the directories (ex: 2020-12-25) to
the Apple devices. The problem I'm having is that it does not seem to
really pick up the face or rating data on the iPhone/iPad. I'm not sure if
this is something I'm doing wrong or if Apple simply does not follow some
standard that Digikam is using. Maybe I need to put that data in a
different spot...I don't know.

Is anyone doing something similar or have any ideas on how to get the face
and rating data working on Apple devices?