[digiKam-users] Migrating from Digikam 4 to 6

Jyk jykdht at lavache.com
Sun May 2 14:12:51 BST 2021

At the end of the Gilles and Rob procedures I was without any tags, quite
disappointing.

I reapplied everything for the same results, as my PC is not so fast or I
have too many pictures, a full run requires multiples days for "reboot in
Ubuntu 16, restore from backups,  export with Digikam 4 tags in XML sidecar
files via Maintenance tool synchronization from database to image metadata,
reboot in Ubuntu 20, start Digikam v7 from an appimage, choose fresh install
configuration, let Digikam analyze pictures, start Maintenance tool
synchronization from image metadata to database"

After two runs, I built a fresh new Ubuntu user, and tried again with
hundreds pictures copied from my main account, with their sidecar xml files.

And I found a change from Digikam 4 to Digikam 7 that puzzled me on the main
tries.

*The sidecar options are now in a separate tab*, and I missed them, due to
new dialog for DNG format, I wrongly thought it was somewhere a replacement
for XML files.

So I reran on my small subset of files the Maintenance tool synchronization
from image metadata to database, and fortunately it retrieved my tags.

I have now to try on the real set of images.