[digiKam-users] Help with this use case, please.

Chris Poldervaart vaarticus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 10:53:47 GMT 2021

Today, I am going to set up a NAS with the intention of collecting all of
my photos from various sources and getting them centralized. I would like
to use digiKam for this, but I am new to the platform and need help with
the best way to do this.

Pointing me to a good instructional resource if perfectly fine. I have done
some browsing of YouTube, the digiKam manual... and I am just not positive
what the best approach is.

Step One: Find everything.

I'd like to be able to plug in an external drive, have digiKam find all of
the photos from the drive, copy those folders/photos to the NAS. Rinse,
repeat. I'm hoping this can be somewhat automated so that I can spend my
time on Step Two.

Step Two: Organize what I found.

Once I have everything co-located, I'd like to be able to go in and
organize, cull, and long-term manage those images.  (this will likely be
the time consuming, manual review process).

Is digiKam the right tool for this? Any tips on how to achieve this? I'm
sure if I was more familiar with digiKam this would be a trivial task. It's
pretty powerful, but I only know how to do one thing with it really... I've
been using it to make my selections from camera memory cards after a
shooting session.  I haven't really started using it for photo management.

Thanks a bunch!

Chris