[digiKam-users] Couple questions about building digikam

2895qgvg6v at liamekaens.com 2895qgvg6v at liamekaens.com
Sun Mar 14 00:38:35 GMT 2021

I'm not sure whether to send these questions to digikam-users or
digikam-devel, but since I've seen a few messages here suggesting that
some people build digiKam from source, I'll try here first.  If this
belongs in digikam-devel, please let me know.

I'm setting up a Linux (debian/testing) virtual machine in which to
build digiKam so I can experiment with it to learn a little bit about
how it works, and then try to contribute by fixing some bugs and/or
making some enhancements (e.g. solve the issues I described in
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/2020-August/031169.html),
and I have a couple questions.

I tried "git clone https://invent.kde.org/graphics/digikam.git digikam"
on a partition with 1.3GB of free space and ran out of space.  How much
disk space is required to checkout the digiKam source code?
Also, how much additional space is required to compile, and is there a
difference in the space required when using bootstrap.local versus
bootstrap.linux?

I attempted to install all the dependencies did manage to run
bootstrap.linux, and it complained that I didn't have gettext, which
surprised me because Gettext is listed in the section "Dependencies To
Process Translations Files (optional)".  Is
https://www.digikam.org/api/index.html#externaldeps correct that Gettext
is optional, and if so what do I need to do get bootstrap.linux to
complete successfully without it installed (I looked at files shown in
the backtrace, but didn't see a clear way to avoid the check for Gettext)?

thanks for your help,
Peter

PS: FWIW, I'm close to retiring after a 40+ year system software
development career, so I'm hoping to soon have more time to contribute
to open source software projects that I find useful and interesting.