[digiKam-users] wastebin problem

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Sat Mar 13 18:24:44 GMT 2021

Hello,

panic over. It was just a temporal problem. After not shutting down
digikam all files were restored yesterday evening when I came back from
work. :-)
Don't quite understand why restoring files from the wastebin takes so
much longer than moving them into it, but hey ho, just glad they are
back. Might have been faster restoring them from backup, though.
The other thing I don't quite understand is, what's been happening in
the background. When I started the restoration process, digikam was
pretty much hogging 1 core to 90-100%. That dropped to normal background
use hours before the pictures showed up in digikam again, and according
to htop digikam was showing no activity higher than background. Why does
it take that long if it hardly uses any resources?

The situation that started it remains, though.
I got one folder "pentax" with a lot of subfolders including "01neu" and
"internet". There's that weird double entry of "pentax" with only the 2
subfolders "01neu" and "internet". Files in those subfolders are all
"hidden". I haven't created that doublicat and really would like to get
rid of it. But deleting it moved the whole original "pentax" folder to
the wastebin.
Anybody an idea how I can get rid of this partial doublicat?

Digikam also offers me the option of "repairing" the hidden files. What
actually does that do? In my understanding, something that's hidden
doesn't need repairing but finding/ unhiding. Considering the effect of
deleting this folder, I'm a bit worried about trying anything on it at
that point.
Certainly not before have done another backup.
--
Sincerely,

Andreas T. Ege
Dr. med. vet., MRCVS, MABVA