[digiKam-users] Windows File Properties (such as tags) do not show in digiKam 7.2

mytea4-kde at yahoo.com mytea4-kde at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 14:37:46 BST 2021

Hello - I am new to digiKam in the past year and have been searching the
documentation and websites for this issue with no luck.  Hopefully someone
with more experience can point me in the right direction.

Over the past 20yrs, I have primarily used Windows File Explorer to tag
photos.   In the past I've also used, on occasion, Shutterfly local tools
and Windows Photo Gallery, both of which have become defunct.   When I view
pictures in File Explorer or Windows Photo Gallery, I see my tags in the
Details pane.   I can use the File Explorer search function to find all
pictures with those tags.

Yesterday I discovered that for SOME pictures (on various cameras) the
tag/keyword had been written into exif field XPKeywords.  For a small set of
pictures, the tag is written into the IPTC Keywords field; I believe these
are pictures I tagged with digiKam or with ExifDateChanger Pro.   But for
the VAST MAJORITY of my pictures, the tag is just in the Windows File
Properties Tag/Keyword, not in exif or iptc.  I also used IrfanView to view
the exif & iptc information to try and verify what was present in the file
metadata.

digiKam does not seem to read the Windows File Properties fields so I can't
search for pictures by my tags.

My pictures are taken on 10+ cameras and have various Exif versions over the
years, but the problem exists across all of these.   I have pictures from
2020 with that XPKeywords field (with my tag in it) in the exif data, and
other pictures from 2020 without it (that I had never tagged), so this isn't
just related to older or newer pictures.   The issue spans all  years, all
cameras.

I tried going to digiKam Tag Manager Tool > Read Tags from Image - but no
luck.

Is this a bug in digiKam?   Or is there some other tool I need to use in
Windows to force it to write my tags into the exif (or iptc) keywords?

To be clear, on the vast majority of my photos, the exif data does not even
include the XPKeywords field; when a tag had somehow been applied to the
exif data, it seems to have inserted that XPKeywords field.

I really want to migrate all my photo organization work into digiKam, but
can't do that until I learn how to get my tags to show up.

Appreciate any and all advice or direction.

Jaimi