[digiKam-users] Star ratings

mmjoshi mmjoshi at iitbombay.org
Sun Jun 6 08:48:05 BST 2021

Hi Dougie

Yes, I can see the star rating in ExifTool. However, my confusion is about
what Maik said "If you want to write metadata in the images, you can leave
the sidecar switched off."

If I switch this option off, the metadata does not get written to sidecar
(xmp) files for arw and pef files. If I switch this option on the tag
metadata gets written to the sidecar files and the rating also gets written
to the jpg files. Will keep this option on.

I'm not sure I understand. I rely on rating info being written directly
to image file. Then I use it later in a script that uses exiftool to
extract all info.

i.e.

     exiftool -d %c "${fname_image}" > ${wfexif}

then later ...

#
#       RATING
#
         rating_string=""
         exif_rating=$(grep '^Rating *:' ${wfexif} | cut -d: -f2- | sed
's/^ //')

# note use of lower case asterisk here and use of dejavu font in convert
command so that
# it is displayed properly
         case $exif_rating in
         1)
                 rating_string="_R_"
         ;;

        etc ...

which I use as a screen overlay for a screensaver.

Can you have a look at the image file with exiftool to see if the rating
info is there? I don't use sidecar files so perhaps there's an
inconsistency if you have sidecar files ticked? Does it also/still write
to image file?

Dougie