[digiKam-users] What are sidecars ? and, how to use them ?

Ramnarayan.K Digikam ramnarayank+digikam at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 10:27:21 GMT 2021

Hello
Am using Linux Mint 20, Digikam 6.4.0 (target Debian)

I primarily use digikam to import and organize my Nikon DSLR Raw (.NEF)
images.

*My question is what are sidecars ?*

What is the best option for me to select  when enabling sidecars so that i
could append metadata that will then be available when i export to jpeg /
png (etc) .

I understand that it is best (as yet) to try and not write data to raw
files (experimental as yet)

Ideally my meta data would include (Geolocation, some / many tags like
birds, flowers etc or even more specific binomial scientific names)

The targets are websites like inaturalist.org and ebird.org - which pick up
metadata to geolocate pictures or even identify the creature from meta data
.

Currently I enter the geolocation manually for pictures I am uploading.

Thanks
Ram