[digiKam-users] Choppy AVI video playback with appimage

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Sat Jan 23 13:29:29 GMT 2021

Hello everyone,

I have some AVI video files using different codecs. They play smoothly
in the Digikam 6.4 version distributed in Ubuntu 20.04, however the
playback is really choppy with all Appimage's I tried from the project
home site, including 6.4, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 beta 2.

The video plays fine for 2 seconds, then is choppy for 2 seconds,
repeatedly. Actually with Ubuntu's version, the first 0.5s are choppy
too, but then it's OK.

The playback of other videos (mp4, mov) works fine.

Any idea what could cause that ? What library is responsible for the
playback of AVI ? I could compare the versions.

I can also provide a sample file if this helps.

Best regards
Olivier