[digiKam-users] Migrating from Digikam 4 to 6

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Sat Jan 16 18:42:52 GMT 2021

No, the migration tool will not move or copy your picture files. At
least not unless you are doing something unusual that you have not told
us about.

I suspect that you may be suffering from the change in location of where
the digikamrc file was stored, so the new version of digikam is not
aware of where the old version kept its settings. That may not be well
dealt with as you are leaping over a major release, ie digikam 5. But
then I do not remember precisely when that happened, so maybe not.

But you are moving from a very old and obsolete version of digikam to an
old and obsolete version of digikam. You would do better to follow
Giles' advice and download the latest release appimage for digikam 7.

If there is anything you are not sure about please ask a specific
question with as much detail as possible. Explain what you see and why
it concerns you. I do not remember ever needing to run any sort of
migration so I cannot guide you on it with the question you have asked.
You are assuming a level of familiarity with a once in a lifetime task
that we simply do not have nor should we be expected to have.

Andrew