[digiKam-users] Migrating from Digikam 4 to 6

J D angrdtsk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 13:00:49 GMT 2021

Hi,

I lately installed a new Linux distribution, and along with that change,
got new version of Digikam (4 -> 6.4). How can I import the meta-data
created using the old one to the new one?

The meta-data is in a database file. I don't like the idea of embedding it
into the picture files because that way, changes in meta-data would mean
changes in picture files, and that would complicate making back ups.

I found a dialog for migration in the new Digikam, but got immediately
confused, as it seems to require me to move (or copy, that was unclear) the
pictures from a directory to another along with the migration. There are
roughly 35000 pictures taking 475 GB of space so proceeding with that
dialog is not something I will try before I know better what is going
happen and why.

BR,
angrdtsk