[digiKam-users] Best practice - large database

Stefan Wulff stefan.wulff at gmx.de
Tue Jan 5 17:04:30 GMT 2021

Hi!

I’m playing around with digikam for about three month and getting more and
more familiar with it. (I've been using thumbsplus on windows +Mariadb on
NAS for many years...)

Actually I’m using

   - digikam on 2 macbooks
   - maria-db on raspberry pi4 running from usb3-SSD
   - abount 35k pictures on Synology NAS
   - 1 db for all: core, thumbs, faces
   - db size is about 5 GB.

Performance is ok ... but not really fast.

Raspberry Pi und the most used macbook are connect with GBit-Ehternet.

My first trial was maria db on Synology NAS, but it was much too slow
because nearly every db access had to use HDD.

So my questions are:

   - Should I divide into separate databases for core, thumbs, faces?
   - Is there an option to use smaller thumbnails/preview to reduce db size?
   - Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
best regards,
Stefan