[digiKam-users] installation via appimage - how do I access my existing library and settings?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:31:17 GMT 2021

Hi and happy new year.

Look here : https://askubuntu.com/questions/1228911/how-to-find-config-files-for-snap-apps

Snap store application in a dedicated subdirectory from your home,
which is not compatible with native application based settings and
AppImage.

For me, this rule from Snap is a high level limitation with other
versions of the same application.

AppImage respects the place to store native application settings.
After all, AppImage tries to run as a native application, even if all
application binaries are stored in a virtual bundle from memory.

Snap tries to chroot the application bundle too much. Communication
with the host passes through a demon running in the background. It's
complicated and slows down application of course.

I never used Snap, even if i open digiKam to this kind of application
bundling. I prefer so far AppImage which is more simple to use.

I hope that Snap does not encrypt application settings in your home
sub-folder. If not, just copy your settings to the native/appimage
digiKam settings place: .config/digikamrc

Best regards

Gilles Caulier