[digiKam-users] Advanced search and hierarchical tags

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Sun Feb 28 15:24:59 GMT 2021

On 28.02.21 12:37, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> The behavior is correct if the "Events" tag is not assigned to a image.
> In the advanced search you have to reverse the search, you can open the
> "Options >>" at the top of the window, there you select "None of these
> conditions are met".

Thanks for quick feedback Maik. This just negates everything, but that
doesn't allow me to use "Events" to match any tag that is underneath.

To rephrase in one sentence, my goal is to find items that have (or not)
any tag underneath a given parent tag, without the parent tag being set
explicitly on the said items.

Let's have another example, if I have the tags:

Car > Tesla > Model S

Car > Renault > Zoe

Car > Unknown

And I search for items tagged with "Car", I want to find item items
tagged with "Model S", "Zoe" and "Unknown" even if they are not tagged
explicitly with "Car".

I understand that an "explicit" matching strategy might be wanted in
some cases, but the "implicit" is just as useful. Can Digikam do that?

Olivier