[digiKam-users] Advanced search and hierarchical tags

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Sun Feb 28 09:46:16 GMT 2021

Hello everyone,

I have the following kind of hierarchical tags:

Events / 2020 / Event1

Events / 2020 / Event2

Events / 2021 / Event3

They are displayed nicely in the tag manager. Now I would like to find
items that have no "Events" tags. For that I tried various things in the
that returns the items that are indeed tagged with a tag underneath
"Events", but even that I did not manage.

I created a search with the option "Meet All of the following conditions":

- "Return items with tag":"Event1" -> works as expected

- "Return items with tag":"Events" -> does not find anything

- "A tag of the item contains": "Event1" -> works as expected

- "A tag of the item contains": "Events" -> does not find anything

So it looks like the parent tags are completely ignored by the search. I
just migrated from Lightroom which behaves differently, e.g. like I need it.

Of course I could set the tag "Events" explicitly to all items tagged
with "Event1", "Event2", "Event3" but that would be additional work and
defeat the idea of hierarchical tags.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an option somewhere to match parent
tags implicitly?

Thanks!

Regards
Olivier