[digiKam-users] The woes of a Windows 10 digikam newbie user

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 20 16:37:13 GMT 2021

On samedi 20 février 2021 16:41:51 CET The Man in Black wrote:
>  My appreciation to Remco for his response to my post detailing my woes with
> digiKam.A modest update following Remco's suggestions: "My digikam version,
> 7.1.0, shows support for both Nikon D800E"Could you direct me to where I
> would find, and set up support, in my installation of 7.1.0 for my Nikon
> D800E?

You can check that under Help -> Supported RAW cameras.
I'd expect it to be present on your version as well, if not, you cannot do
much about it...

> I'd prefer digiKam import directly from the camera.I'd like to avoid
> extracting the two cards (for jpeg and raw) from the camera, insert them in
> an external card reader, just so digiKam can import from that reader.
> That's just the kind of overhead which would motivate some users (like me!)
> to dodge using digiKam!
Depends also on your photography, and computer setup. I find it as easy to
extract (one) memory card and put it in the already attached card reader, as
to connect the usb cable. In addition, if I end up with several cards to read,
card reader becomes *much* easier. And also, I don't use raw+jpeg.

> Lastly:  I had set up the root of my Collections
> tree.  I added folders containing new images under that root i.e., I copied
> the images from the camera onto those folders.  I expected digiKam would
> pick those new folders up and show them up as new albums.
To have Digikam check for new folders etc. *on startup*, you may have to
activate that under "Settings" -> "Configure Digikam" -> Miscellaneous", then
it's the first option in the "behaviour" tab. That picks up folders and images
added from outside Digikam. It's an option, as it can slow down startup (e.g.
collections stored on network devices). I dont think Digikam picks up folders
and images added to its collection(s) while it is running, though.

As for Digikam not recognising the camera: does the OS recognise the camera
(or at least that it is attached as a known device)? If not, Digikam won't see
there's a camera attached...