[digiKam-users] The woes of a Windows 10 digikam newbie user

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 20 07:13:56 GMT 2021

On vendredi 19 février 2021 21:46:48 CET The Man in Black wrote:
> Hello!
> My configuration: Windows 10, digiKam7.1.0 stable release.
>
> First, digiKam is unable to detect my Nikon 800E when it is connected to the
> computer.I understand that might be a Windows driver problem...so, I
> physically copy the files from the camera onto the computer's hard drive.

Personally, I prefer taking the memory card out of the camera and use a card
reader, which is recognised as a "mass storage device" (an external HDD). Thsi
should always work with Digikam. I don't know if your camera can work in that
mode (mine only uses MTP or PTP iirc).

> Next: digiKam is unable to open the folder containing the images (jpeg or
> raw, doesn't matter).All items under "Album" are grayed out.Under "Import"
> the Cameras option doesn't work (see above).The "Add Folders" and "Add
> Images" are grayed out.
Digikam uses one or more specifically designated directory trees to look for
files. The root of those trees has to be declared as a "collection" in the
Digikam setup.

> What do I need to do, on Windows, for digiKam's
> easy import of images into albums (which I organize under
> year/month/date)?It doesn't matter whether that import is from the camera
> or the computer's local hard disk. (...)

- check whether your camera can work in mass storage mode or use a card reader
(My digikam version, 7.1.0, shows support for both Nikon D800E and Coolpix
800, no "Nikon 800E").
- check whether you have the root of your image folders declared as a
collection in Digikam (menu settings -> configure digikam, then "collections
tab", which is the 2nd item from the top)

Remco