[digiKam-users] digiKam for long term management of a large library

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 05:43:20 GMT 2021

Hello,

I have about 240,000 photos that I'd like to manage with digiKam. I'm
especially interested in the tagging capabilities. I'm comfortable setting
up the remote MySQL server. I like digiKam, and I want to use the facial
recognition to help organize these some more.

I have a few questions before I just go for it:

1. With remote MySQL can multiple users share the same database?

My wife and I have separate accounts on a Linux desktop machine, and we
would both like to be able to access the library.

2. Can the library be accessed from a separate computer?

If I set up NFS and use the MySQL remote, can I also view the library from
a separate computer?

Or will the different paths (due to being mounted via NFS) break things?

3. What's the best way to future-proof my library?

After I've tagged and organized my photos I don't want to do it again.

Is the best practice to write tags to the files, or to dump MySQL as plain
text, or something else? I'd like to ensure that if something surpasses
digiKam in 10 years, that I'll still have my tags.

Thanks,
Michael