[digiKam-users] JPEG grows bigger. Why?

CD.Graesser cd.graesser at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:51:50 BST 2021

Some additions to the good explanation from Andrew.

Jpeg makes a frequency analys of the image and then it cuts away high image
content frequencies where just a little change is in luminance or color.
Example: The details (=high frequencies) of small branches of a tree
infront of a grey sky are well maintained in Jpeg75% compression, but the
detailes of allmost same green leaves of a bush are smeared out in Jpeg
75%, while they are almost perfect at compression above 90%. I use 95%
compression in jpeg after editing in Digikam.

The coefficients for the frequency analyis may differ from jpeg vendor.
Thus recompression gives a different representation of the image.

Jpeg works on blocks of 8x8 pix.

Besides the smearing of details, 8x8 pixel blocks appear to be visible with
a different luminance or color than the adjacent 8x8 block.

The default of jpeg compression 75% in digikam is way too low and thus it
makes especially to detailrich complex images visible quality issues.
I use 95% when storing in jpeg in DK which is in my opinion similar to
superfine setting of the cameras.

One reason for me to use sometimes RAW are the jpeg compression and noise
reduction artefacts from the camera. Both reduce the content of details and
thus result in smaller filesize.
I shoot most times in the camera Jpeg superfine with low noise reduction,
then I do in DK whitebalance tool some brightness, gamma, color saturation
and whitebalance correction and store it again in jpeg 95% in DK.

Happy dk-ing!

Christian Graesser

Andrew Goodbody <ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk> schrieb am Sa., 7. Aug. 2021,
23:31: