[digiKam-users] JPEG grows bigger. Why?

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 22:42:13 BST 2021

Jpeg is a lossy compression format. The size of the file is dependant on
two things for the most part. The first is what is in the picture and
the second is what quality it is saved at. Saving at 100% quality
generally greatly increases the file size. So the increase may be either
that you are saving it at a higher quality than previously. Or else the
changes you make are resulting in an image that does not compress so
well and so a larger file is produced. It may also depend on which code
is used to implement the compression used in the jpeg image.

So the answer is 'it depends and we cannot tell without detailed
inspection of both files by someone who can determine what is going on'.

But I suspect the most likely answer is that the original was saved at
less than 100% quality.

Andrew