[digiKam-users] What to do with faces I don't care about?

Tobias Langner tobias.langner at bitvalve.org
Tue Apr 27 13:32:09 BST 2021

> Digikam is (rightfully) picking up faces in the background in crowds,
> other people's kids from school events, things like that. Or pictures of
> friends' exes or something. It'd be great to be able just ignore them in one
> step. I am tagging by going into an existing tag, and looking through the
> suggested photos/faces. Right now, the Unknown pool has a lot of pictures I do care
> about, but haven't tagged yet. It seems like the current workflow
> increases the noise in the Unknown pool, since all I-don't-care people have to go
> from a Suggested match to Unknown before getting put in Ignored.
I fully agree with Michael's post. I am in exactly the same situation
with my Unknown pool consisting of some 25k faces. Whenever I run
recognition, I see plenty of faces or "faces" in Unconfirmed that I want
to be ignored. But currently I see no easy way to do that. If I mark
them as rejected, then they go back into Unknown where due to the sheer
mass of faces, I cannot locate the ones I just wanted to ignore.
Removing the face by clicking on the top-right corner symbol brings the
faces back the next time I scan with "Merge Results".

The use-case of face detecting/recognizing a large pre-existing library
of photos seems fairly standard. Unless I am missing something, everyone
would be in the same position as Michael and I, having troubles to
ignore faces.

My suggestion: From an end-user's perspective, there seems little (if
any?) difference between deleting a face or marking as ignored. Hence
could we just have the top-right corner action always ignore a face, no
matter of whether we look at unknown or unconfirmed faces? The change in
behavior for the action despite no change in the icon has confused me
quite a bit anyway :)

Given that this has been brought up by several users, can we consider
work on this? Thanks!