[digiKam-users] Fwd: Re: DNG conversion in Digikam

Gerhard Hoogterp gerhard at frappe.xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 27 19:43:34 BST 2021

On dinsdag 27 april 2021 17:40:10 CEST Gerhard wrote:

> I hadn't noticed the missing metadata. What metadata do you mean
> specifically?

It's not as much missing data, but I noticed that sites and programs don't see my lens
when I upload images.

I use an A7III and a FE1.8/85 lens which are quite modern, but the lens didn't seem to be
recognised in the exif info after uploading to f.e. 500px.com.
I convert the RAW to DNG on import.

So I grabbed an earlier image in the AWR format and there lens info was available.  After
converting it to DNG using Digikam I compared the two files:

exiv2 -g Lens 20200426T192530_01.ARW

exiv2 -g Lens 20200426T192530_01.DNG 20200426T192530_01.DNG: Failed to open the
file jondor at Bull:~/DNG$ exiv2 -g Lens 20200426T192530_01.dng Error: Directory Sony2
with 25665 entries considered invalid; not read. Exif.Sony2.LensID                            Long
       1  Manual lens Xmp.aux.Lens                                 XmpText    11  Manual lens
Xmp.aux.LensID                               XmpText     5  65535

Besides the error about the Sony2 block error it also doesn't have the same info as the
original file. Hence my question on which library did the conversion. Regretfully I don't
think Adobe cares about open source or linux, so I guess I will have to live with it or
maybe write a script using exiftools to fix things. Other suggestions are also welcome
off course...

Gerhard

--
https://gerhardhoogterp.nl/