[digiKam-users] locale questions for US users

donsam don at snowedunder.com
Thu Apr 15 16:16:41 BST 2021

I first set up digikam on a windows 10 machine, using synology with mariadb
to store the database (and pictures).
I then installed digikam on a mac running catalina. When I started digikam
on the mac (after getting connected to mariadb), it said I had to change the
locale and it rebuilt the database. Then when I restarted on windows 10,
basically the same message. What I note on the mac is the locale is
EN_US.UTF-8, while if I bring up ubuntu via Windows Subsystem LInux, I get
C.UTF-8. In the windows control panel, my system local is English (United
States) and I tried checking off the "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for world wide
language support, to no effect.

If I bring up digikam on my windows box using WSL2 / Ubuntu, I do not have
to rebuild the database if mac was the last used. Somehow in continually
switching operating systems the database got corrupted. I now back up once a
day but do not want to risk corruption or the time to rebuild on 30k jpg
images.

Interestingly when I turn on all of the debug logging features as stated in
the digikam support page, and I look for either local or utf, this is all I
see:

[16364] Not running under explorer. Will not set thread locale

This was from me invoking under windows10 without a need to rebuild the
database.

With the locale set to windows version and I invoke under linux, here is the
full log, as I clicked "no" on the rebuild of the database:

samuels at baker:/mnt/c/don/donfiles/digikam_databases$ cat
digikam_start_stop_only_linux_041421.LOG
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
'/tmp/runtime-samuels'
digikam.widgets: Use installed icons
digikam.general: AlbumWatch is disabled
digikam.general: Database Parameters:
   Type:                     "QMYSQL"
   DB Core Name:             "digikam"
   DB Thumbs Name:           "digikam"
   DB Face Name:             "digikam"
   DB Similarity Name:       "digikam"
   Connect Options:          ""
   Host Name:                "192.168.0.137"
   Host port:                3307
   Internal Server:          false
   Internal Server Path:     ""
   Internal Server Serv Cmd: ""
   Internal Server Init Cmd: ""
   Username:                 "root"
   Password:                 "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

digikam.dbengine: Loading SQL code from config file
"/usr/share/digikam/database/dbconfig.xml"
digikam.dbengine: Checking XML version ID => expected:  3  found:  3
digikam.coredb: Core database: running schema update
digikam.coredb: Core database: have a structure version  12
digikam.coredb: Core database: makeUpdates  12  to  12
org.kde.solid.udisks2: Failed enumerating UDisks2 objects:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"
 "Not connected to D-Bus server"
org.kde.solid.udisks2: Failed enumerating UDisks2 objects:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"
 "Not connected to D-Bus server"
digikam.database: Creating new Location  "/"  uuid
"volumeid:?path=N:/don/allphotos"
digikam.database: location for  "N:/don/allphotos"  is available  true
digikam.general: KMemoryInfo: Platform identified :  "LINUX"
digikam.general: KMemoryInfo: TotalRam:  6547030016
digikam.general: Allowing a cache size of 200 MB
QThreadStorage: Thread 0x7f63a53fe780 exited after QThreadStorage 12
destroyed

Nothing about locale or what gave rise to this message window:

<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t377307/locale.png>
I really want both myself (windows) and my wife (mac) to be able to operate
off the same database.