[digiKam-users] Performance Tips for Dealing with 1.6M Images?

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:30:08 BST 2020

Hi,

I am sorry for your loss. That is a huge amount of photos. I am using
digikam with less than 1/10 of that.

I'm not sure how digikam will perform with such a library, but I think it
should be usable nevertheless. I'd just let it scan everything and not touch
it until it has imported all pictures into the library. Once everything is
in there, you can start tagging and organising things.

Regarding the face detection, I also encountered crashes when scanning a
large amount of faces, I think it's a bug that has been already reported.
For now, I'd just try to scan one folder at a time (doing right click, Scan
for faces).

If you are using the appimage bundles, you can add "debug" to the end in a
console, and you'll have tons of information so you can report any crashes.
For instance:    ./digikam-7.0.0-x86-64.appimage debug

Good luck!