[digiKam-users] How to get wider range of thumbnail sizes

Thomas D sdktda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:22:49 BST 2020

Hi Maik,

Found "use large thumbnails for high res monitors" in Settings. I did not
understand this option to do this. I thought it was about the internal
thumbnail resolution and not the actual display size.
Is there any reason not to just allow the user to define the range?

I do not understand why thumbnails below 100 should not be useful. It is
entirely useful. In Gwenview, I can scale the thumbnails down to 48x48.
This is really useful when doing a first pass sorting through a large
amount of incoming photos in which a lot of photos are clearly from the
same set or same event.
I have attached a screenshot (pixelated for privacy reasons) of Gwenview
with thumbnail size set to 48x48.  In this screenshot. Even with the
pixilation, it is easy to see that each of the three marked selections are
related. Now, these selections are small for the sake of having an example
that would easily illustrate the problem. However, in practice, sometimes
these sets can be hundreds of photos that are nearly identical. And I
typically need to sort these into folders for each set and then finely sort
through them set by set at a later stage.
I would love that digikam would allow me to do this!

Screenshot:
[image: tgu.png]

You mention that the text is shortened and rating stars cut off when
thumbnails are this small. I do not see that as a problem. Quite the
contrary. I would absolutely love it if all the additional details like
text, rating stars, etc. are hidden when using thumbnails below a certain
size. Typically you would not rate photos nor care about filenames when you
are working with thumbnails this small.

Would it at least be possible to allow the user to decide this by having
the slider go down to, say, 48x48 and then have DK hide everything but the
actual thumbnail when size is below X (where could be 100 or something
suitable)?

Just like with the large thumbnails, this behavior could be something that
could be enabled with a checkbox in the Settings.

Another useful idea: Would it be possible to have a quick toggle that would
show/hide all the text, rating stars, etc. in the thumbnail view. E.g by a
shortcut key or similar? That would be really handy!

BR
Thomas

Den tir. 13. okt. 2020 kl. 12.40 skrev Maik Qualmann <metzpinguin at gmail.com