[digiKam-users] Cannot browse by tags on images recovered from an accidentally formated hard disk - exif data is present on recoevered images

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Thu Nov 26 18:32:27 GMT 2020

I've just recovered a friends photos using testdisk / photoroc. It's
amazing. 120GB of images from a USB drive that the computer shop said
was unrecoverable. She doesn't use tags but I copied a few into my image
directory and assigned a couple using exiftool and digikam picked them
up ok. I tried changing ownership to root too.

I wonder if it's worth using exiftool on a few of your images (it may
already be installed on Linux Mint) to see how the tags are stored.
Something like

exiftool -r * | grep Tags

or just exiftool <filename> | less

might give a picture of whether the tags are stored in strange fields.

Dougie